1) The chapter specified some of the changes in the external environment that can provide business opportunities (technological discoveries, lifestyle and taste changes, and so on). Identify some recent changes on current trends in the external environment and the business opportunities they might offer.
Note: Your findings here should be very easy as we have had numerous evolutionary changes in the business community over the last 50 years. As we look back it is hardly conceivable at the improvements we have made in both human relations and technological advancements.
2) Pick a job you have held, and describe it in terms of span of control, delegation, responsibility, authority, and accountability.
Note: The business world offers many varied opportunities to excel in the workplace. As workers we often do not stop to think about the terms listed in this question. The Unity of Command Principle refers to the basic rule that an employee must answer to a single manager and not several. An exception to this rule is the Matrix management concept. Your response here should be easily structured after having experienced the chosen organization where you worked.
1) Imagine you are the CEO of a major company; choose your favorite products or industry. What approach to global competition would you choose for your firm: international, multinational, global, or transnational? Why?
2) If you had entered into a joint venture with a foreign company but knew that women were not treated fairly in that culture, would you consider sending a female expatriate to handle the start-up? Why or why not?
3) On a 1 to 10 scale, what is your level of personal interest in becoming an entrepreneur? Why did you rate yourself as you did?
4) Identify some businesses that recently opened in your area. What are their chances of survival, and why? How would you advise the owners or managers of those businesses to ensure their success?
5) What are some advantages and disadvantages of being in the CEO position?
6) Consider an organization in which you have worked, draw its organization chart, and describe it by using terms in this chapter. How did you like working there, and why?